Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Beauty of Art: Florence

The paintings of women have changed enormously from women who show their bare skin as a symbolic of being graceful to being heavily dressed up today in dresses, gowns accompanied by extravagant jewelleries. Nudity no longer symbolizes high status in a society, unlike during the Renaissance era.

*a street painting in Florence*

The Birth of Venus, painted by Botticelli during the Renaissance years depicted Venus being born and coming from the sea by a seashell. This painting is one of the famous pieces being kept in Uffizi Gallery in Florence. Being one of the oldest art galleries in the world, Ufifizi houses quite a number of the famous pieces of Leonardo da Vinci, Van Rijn and Michaelangelo.

*the statue of Leanardo da Vinci outside the gallery*

I spent an hour queing to buy the tickets and since reduction is only available for art students and I am not able to convince them that I studied art in my university, I have to fork out a heavy 15 euros.

But trust me, the gallery is worth every single cent of my money. I started of by looking at the portraits of the Medicci family along the corridor but since I only know Lorenzo, the man responsible for the Golden Age of Florence, I scanned through the other portraits in less than 15 minutes and went into the main gallery.

AMAZING is inadequate to describe the greatness of the art pieces in the gallery. Besides The Birth of Venus, I got to see Leonardo's The Annunciation and The Adoration of Magi. And to those who do not have a single idea of these masterpieces, fear not. There's English explanation of each art piece which helps visitors to understand better.

Photo taking is not allowed in the gallery and its fair enough since I paid 15 euros to get into the gallery just to catch a glimpse of the pictures and how unfair it is if you can see tha paintings here on my blog for free.. =)

*the famous sculpture of the death od Medusa outside the gallery*

Thus, do make a trip to Uffizi if you are planning to go to Florence anytime in the future.

No comments: