Tuesday, June 8, 2010

The Dutch owed the windmills..

And as I climbed up one of the remaining 1150 windmills in Netherlands, I quietly pray that I will be safe because the ladder looked so unreliable, admire the beauty of the windmills and nod my head as the Dutch man in front of me explained about the windmills.

"..... and now there are only about 1150 windmills left all over Netherlands...bla bla bla..."



And as he went on telling the curious tourists about the windmills, I was busy snapping pictures but hold on a second! I heard him talking about Amsterdam was developed around a dam??

Thats a BIG WOW from me! Well, windmills were once upon a time used in agriculture and now, used to generate electricity but it had never cr
ossed my mind that without the windmills, Amsterdam will not exist. Because, in the early days, the Dutch used the windmills to remove excess water from the low lying districts, making the land fit for human habitation.






And this shows how much the Dutch owed the windmills because without the windmills, Amsterdam might not exist and they can forget calling themselves Dutch.

YES, Dutch out there, you know you owed the windmills! Do take good care of the re
maining 1150!

No comments: