Thursday, June 10, 2010

Rome was not built in one day..

Indeed, Rome was not built in one day and I did not manage to finish visiting all the important historical sites in Rome despite walking non-stop for 3 days under the scorching hot sun and torturing my poor feet. There are just too many for one to see and venture in Rome but I would say if you really want to experience the mighty Rome, along the Caesar feel, there are 10 top places that one must visit in Rome.

Number 10

Pantheon
Pantheon means 'every God' in Greek and was built as a temple to all the god in Ancient Rome but after the French Revolution, it has been used until today as a Catholic Church and also a tourist attraction..


Number 9

Piazza Navona
One of the famous squares in the world, indeed it is! This is the place where all the artists sell their pieces and you get to see people pulling out different stunts to attract customers.



*Put a coin into the box on the ground and she will dance for you!*


Famous for its fountains as well, my favourite is the Neptune Fountain. =)

Number 8

Spanish Steps
Also known as Piazza di Spagna in Italian, it is the longest and widest staircase in Europe and was built between 1723-1725. The reason I like this staircase is because I got to sit and rest my poor feet for as long as I want to. =) And also, you get to see artists giving their paintings final touch and I even bumped into a music composer carrying his guitar and song book.


At the base of the steps is where the famous Barcaccia Fountain lies. Here, you can see lots of young couples taking pictures in front of the fountain and of course, some 'unwelcomed' people will take the opportunity to 'con' the men into buying roses for the ladies..



Number 7

Scala Santa
Also known as the Holy Stairs and according to historical records, it was the stairs that Jesus climbed during his passion to meet Pontius Pilate. It was brought from Jerusalem to Rome by Saint Helena and every year, many Christians will climb the stairs of 28 steps but I can tell you that its absolutely NOT an easy feat because I gave up after 5 steps.. *sad*




Number 6

Fontana di Trevi
I would say this is quite similar to the Eiffel Tower in Paris where love birds will definitely like having their pictures taken here. Why? I am sure the picture tells you everything. the architecture of the fountain itself is just O-U-T-S-T-A-N-D-I-N-G!





There is a myth that goes like this, throw a coin into the fountain and make a wish, a second coin you will come back to Rome again and of course, I would definitely want to come back to Rome again..


Note: I will continue on with the next 5 must visit places in the next post..

2 comments:

Nigel said...

nice one jac!

oh about the stairs, you have to knell n climb at de same time rite?

i wan go! =/

Jacqueline said...

ya.. the Holy Stairs.. need to kneel and climb at the same time but not that easy to kneel on it. Old Stairs are not uneven and full of those so called woody thorns